Cessna 162 rental in Hampton Roads, VA

Looking for a partner? No, we're not talking about dating. Partnerships are another way to bring down the cost of flying. Use this forum to find like-minded folks in your neighborhood.

Moderator: drseti

AviatorCrafty

Cessna 162 rental in Hampton Roads, VA

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but I was wondering if there were any 162 owners around the Chesapeake/Hampton Roads area who would be willing to let a sport pilot rent their airplane. All of my flight time is in the 162 and my school just sold their 162, and I love the 162 a lot so I'd like to keep flying one before having to change types at a different school. I've seen some 162s flying into KCPK so I figured there were some around.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
HAPPYDAN

Re: Cessna 162 rental in Hampton Roads, VA

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Sorry I can't help much with your question, as I live on the opposite coast. But I share your love for an otherwise much-maligned (misunderstood?) aircraft. I have wrestled with similar questions, and have all but concluded that the time is right to BUY one. Since it has been orphaned by Cessna, plenty of them are around, for sale. From my 95 hour experience, it is a solid, reliable, easy to maintain platform. It's only notable drawback is the weight it can legally carry. But for a skinny little guy like me (5'10", 165#) it's a perfect fit. Here in the Seattle area, I know of 5 available for rent, and perhaps another 3 or 4 in Oregon. But - and here's the big but(t) - most of the renters require at least a 3rd class medical, or a full coverage renters policy (Yikes! $$$). Again, sorry I'm not much help, but I wanted to let you know others here share your dilemma.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Having a renter’s insurance policy makes good sense. Stuff happens.

Requiring a third-class medical for a Sport Pilot rental should be criminal!

There might not be precedent for legal action, but I’d love to see them sued for discrimination and violation of the American Disabilities Act (ADA.)

Screw anyone, any organization, or any insurance company that tries to force such a baseless requirements! We heard of such ignorant policies over a decade ago, which have now been proven completely unjustified by statistics.

LSA has proven that third-class medicals have no correlation to safety in small private aircraft.

Want to improve aviation safety in rental aircraft? Screen renters property in the checkout, and go the extra mile to provide extra safety education along with advancement of airmanship and aeronautical decision making skills. Also take time to educate renters about the local area, weather patterns and other unique features.

It doesn’t take long for an experienced CFI to evaluate pilot competency.

We have many pilots on this board without medicals that probably have significantly higher experience, airmanship skills and overall safety reliability than whoever is giving their checkouts.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

HAPPYDAN wrote:But - and here's the big but(t) - most of the renters require at least a 3rd class medical, or a full coverage renters policy (Yikes! $$$). Again, sorry I'm not much help, but I wanted to let you know others here share your dilemma.
I HAVE to carry full coverage to even get the opportunity to rent, no policy, no flight without a CFI. It does make sense considering a rental pilot totaled a 172 that belonged to the FBO this past week at our airport. The 3rd class medical requirement does give me pause, it's not legally mandated, but precedent has been set: I tried to get into a flying "club" with an older Mooney M20 201. I have 20 hours of retract time and over 125 hours total time, but their insurance would not touch me without an instrument rating. Basically, to keep insurance cheaper, their policy was written in such a way as to require the instrument rating of each PIC. I can't argue their position, it's defiantly cheaper to do this, but it's also a bit discriminatory. Here is where I was going with that: I bet it's insurance based, not anyone at the FBO or some crazy rule, it's most likely to keep their insurance costs low or even to get insurance and unfortunately, it also means you either comply or don't fly....
Ed
designrs

Post by designrs »

foresterpoole wrote:it also means you either comply or don't fly....
And THAT is exactly why requiring a medical to rent an LSA should be ILLEGAL AND PROSECUTED. In addition to being discriminatory, it is misguided, ignorant and completely unsupported by statistics or facts!
- Richard
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

designrs wrote:
And THAT is exactly why requiring a medical to rent an LSA should be ILLEGAL AND PROSECUTED. In addition to being discriminatory, it is misguided, ignorant and completely unsupported by statistics or facts!
As they say... their planes , their rules.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
designrs

Post by designrs »

It’s probably their insurance company, which is even worse!

So if I have a business renting real estate, can I deny rental to someone who might have a medical issue or disability? Or ask them to be medically certified before they rent a car?

It would be worse than racial profiling, which unfortunately there are often correlating statistics to crime and risk!
- Richard
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Sorry I can't help much with your question, as I live on the opposite coast. But I share your love for an otherwise much-maligned (misunderstood?) aircraft. I have wrestled with similar questions, and have all but concluded that the time is right to BUY one. Since it has been orphaned by Cessna, plenty of them are around, for sale. From my 95 hour experience, it is a solid, reliable, easy to maintain platform. It's only notable drawback is the weight it can legally carry. But for a skinny little guy like me (5'10", 165#) it's a perfect fit. Here in the Seattle area, I know of 5 available for rent, and perhaps another 3 or 4 in Oregon. But - and here's the big but(t) - most of the renters require at least a 3rd class medical, or a full coverage renters policy (Yikes! $$$). Again, sorry I'm not much help, but I wanted to let you know others here share your dilemma.
I agree with your misunderstood description, I'm skinny and light as well (6'0 and ~148 pounds) and my instructor was a little shorter than me and weighed about 160 so we were the only ones who could carry full fuel while flying dual, other students were with 3/4 or 1/2 tanks, which composed of only two other students besides me, I was the most active one flying it. Three days after my checkride the plane dropped from the schedule so I was left with no plane, but now I'm checked out in the Tecnam P92 at another school with seven P92s in their fleet. With a useful load of 520 pounds it can carry a lot for an LSA, compared to the 450 pounds useful load in the 162.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Warmi wrote:
designrs wrote:
As they say... their planes , their rules.
Unfortunately, this is the reality we live in, if you don't own your at someone else's mercy....
Ed