Insurance rate shocker

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

designrs

Re: Insurance rate shocker

Post by designrs »

... you haven’t had any claims.
... you have a newer plane
... you are the certified mechanic (multiple certifications)
... AND nationally recognized (for decades) as an authority on education, Rotax, not to mention all of your FAA affiliations and knowledge of regulations that you actively educate others on.

If any flight school is low risk, it’s yours!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote: If any flight school is low risk, it’s yours!
Thanks for that, Richard. Unfortunately, insurance companies tend to quote on the basis not of individual risk, but rather aggregate risk.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

drseti wrote:
Thanks for that, Richard. Unfortunately, insurance companies tend to quote on the basis not of individual risk, but rather aggregate risk.
Tell them to buzz off then!

You have been a good customer and remain a low risk. You are NOT responsible for the risk of other policies under their self-serving “basis,” aggregate or otherwise. It’s about picking your pockets to pad theirs.

Now, I’m the furthest thing from being cheep.
However, if there is ONE THING that I despise most, it’s Forced-Fed Consumerism.

Better yet, ask for a DISCOUNT for being a such good customer!
- Richard
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

designrs wrote:
drseti wrote:
Tell them to buzz off then!

You have been a good customer and remain a low risk. You are NOT responsible for the risk of other policies under their self-serving “basis,” aggregate or otherwise. It’s about picking your pockets to pad theirs.

Now, I’m the furthest thing from being cheep.
However, if there is ONE THING that I despise most, it’s Forced-Fed Consumerism.

Better yet, ask for a DISCOUNT for being a such good customer!
Insurance companies generally stay solvent becomes of carefully applied and calculated statistical risk models - the only thing that can influence these pricing models are market forces ( i.e competition ) but even there - there is only so much you can give before it becomes financially dangerous - that's not really force fed consumerism but common sense - it is rather very low profit margin business.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Very true. I'm in that industry. Our margins are incredibly thin. If you get pricing wrong it will sometimes take years to recover if ever. Insurance is becoming increasingly commodity like. Because companies are on the knifes egde there will be companies chasing market share which is dangerous because when you lose money you tend to lose alot. It is akin to selling dimes for nickels. You will get a bunch of customers until you are out of money. Unlike what most of the public thinks It is a very transparent industry. You can see their loss ratios on the NAICs website. I suggest everone who suffers from insomnia take a look at one.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Atrosa wrote:Very true. I'm in that industry. Our margins are incredibly thin. If you get pricing wrong it will sometimes take years to recover if ever. Insurance is becoming increasingly commodity like. Because companies are on the knifes egde there will be companies chasing market share which is dangerous because when you lose money you tend to lose alot. It is akin to selling dimes for nickels. You will get a bunch of customers until you are out of money. Unlike what most of the public thinks It is a very transparent industry. You can see their loss ratios on the NAICs website. I suggest everone who suffers from insomnia take a look at one.
Interesting replies abut the insurance industry. I still feel that the big companies, and the underwriters, are making big money... and those are the ones who must pay if there is a claim. Or does a small selling agent suffer a loss or penalty in a claim as well?

Curious too about the comments above, are you speaking specifically of aviation insurance, or other forms of insurance?

Thanks for the perspective.
- Richard
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

I've attached a link to the NAIC's industry report. In the report it details what kind of margins the Property&Casualty industry experienced. The key measures are loss ratios. If you look at the historical run rate it is about 72.5%. What that means is that for every dollar sent to an insurer 70 cents is sent back to the customers. Now running insurance companies in this extremely highly regulated environments take armies of Lawyers, Actuaries and Accountants. As you may know this group of individuals don't come cheap, someone has to be able to afford flying :)

The expense ratio is mainly made up of HR costs but technology and regulatory fees are not by any means insignificant. The expense ratio is about 27%.

So how do we stay is business you ask. Investment income. As part of the financial professionals we hire we also hire the worlds best investors. because we may experience large payouts, those payouts tend to happen over time not once you pay your premium. This allows our hot shot investment team to invest the money and make us investment gains.

Two events really will send shock waves though the industry, higher that expected claims and market volatility. If you noticed in the data 2010-2012 were very bad years for the industry. Hurricane Irene caused significant losses across the industry.

I'm not a specialty risk guy, and that is where GA insurance operates under but I think there has been an uptick in crashes over the past few years. Because this space is relatively small it will not be able to absorb times of volatility as well as a enormous market like property and casualty. As you have bigger sample sizes you can get more accurate predictions and price accordingly, think back your high school statistics class and sample sizes. Remember a free market abhors a vacuum and if there is unchecked profiteering others will quickly want a piece of the pie and before you know it prices will come down. We had a specialty risk division at my company but others did it better and we were forced to close the division. That pesky free market is a double edged sword.

Let me know if this helps shed some light on a complex, less than transparent industry. (BTW I author notes to the financial statement and by the time legal and the regulators are done with it I barely understand what I wrote)

https://www.naic.org/documents/topic_in ... report.pdf
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Who so a combination of some kind of market crash ( or a downturn ) and large disasters ( natural disasters , 9/11 type of events ) are really like double whammies for the industry ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Warmi you are right on with market drops. Also claims increase during times of market downturns. Also most of our investmemt prowess is put on a leash because of regulatory limits on investment types and concentrations.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Oh yeah Designer i forgot to answer your question. An agent is not impacted by the losses. His geographical area may see a rate increase if the is something that makes that area have a higher frequency of claims.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Atrosa wrote:Oh yeah Designer i forgot to answer your question. An agent is not impacted by the losses. His geographical area may see a rate increase if the is something that makes that area have a higher frequency of claims.
Very interesting ad extremely thorough.
Thank you for shedding some light on these issues.
- Richard
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Part of this morning's AOPA ePilot email discussed rising insurance premiums and the reasons it's happening.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... 00-percent
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

I’m keeping my fingers crossed this year, hoping I won’t see a huge increase. All of my premium cost is related to Hull. My liability is under $300 and I pay around $2500. That’s down several hundred from both the original premium when I got the Sling and the first renewal I was quoted a year later. I had Hallmark from AOPA originally and went back to AVEMCO, who were a couple of hundred less. Ive used Avemco before for my last plane and for renters insurance. When I purchased the Sling they weren’t insuring them at the time, guess I got lucky, glad I asked again.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:. . . All of my premium cost is related to Hull. My liability is under $300 and I pay around $2500.
If you don't mind sharing, how much are you insuring the hull for?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

My policy is up for renewal on May 17, and I received my quote for renewal yesterday. I've never been involved in an accident, incident, or deviation, and have never had an aviation insurance claim in 56 years as a certificated private pilot. My hull insurance is for $50,000.

Premiums since I purchased my Zodiac in 2016:

2016- $863
2017- $924
2018- $1,071
2019- $1,126
2020- $1,415

A nearly $300 increase over last year.
:x
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)