Tailwheel endorsement

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Tailwheel endorsement

Post by Warmi »

So after bitching about tailwheels being outdated and inferior I finally decided to get my tailwheel endorsement starting tomorrow morning :D

I am going to fly a modern cub clone Zlin Savage Cub N511SM
https://www.simplyflyadventures.com/our-aircraft

Curious how it is going to compare to my Sting and , also, having the endorsement and some experience with tailwheel aircraft will allow me to bitch about them more authoritatively ...
Last edited by Warmi on Sat May 02, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Wm.Ince

Re: Tailwheel endorsement

Post by Wm.Ince »

Warmi wrote:So after bitching about tailwheels being outdated and inferior I finally decided to got my tailwheel endorsement starting tomorrow morning :D

I am going to fly a modern cub clone Zlin Savage Cub N511SM
https://www.simplyflyadventures.com/our-aircraft

Curious how it is going to compare to my Sting and , also, having the endorsement and some experience with tailwheel aircraft will allow me to bitch about them more authoritatively ...
Have fun!
We expect a full follow-up report . . . assuming you are successful. :mrgreen:
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote: We expect a full follow-up report . . . assuming you are successful. :mrgreen:
I expect a full follow-up report, even in the unlikely event that you are not successful.

Full disclosure: I do not have a tailwheel endorsement. (Back when I started flying them in 1961, there was no such thing as a tailwheel endorsement.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote: We expect a full follow-up report . . . assuming you are successful. :mrgreen:
I expect a full follow-up report, even in the unlikely event that you are not successful.

Full disclosure: I do not have a tailwheel endorsement. (Back when I started flying them in 1961, there was no such thing as a tailwheel endorsement.)
It still wasn't required when I started learning to fly in the late 70's. Same as high performance and complex.

Oh, have fun, relax, and enjoy yourself. Your life is about to change forever.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:
drseti wrote:
It still wasn't required when I started learning to fly in the late 70's. Same as high performance and complex.
I was once told the only thing flying a tail wheeled airplane does is . . . make you a better pilot at flying everything else.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Warmi, I’m interested as to “WHAT” it costs you for, the endorsement, if you don’t mind?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Wm.Ince wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
drseti wrote:I expect a full follow-up report, even in the unlikely event that you are not successful.
I was once told the only thing flying a tail wheeled airplane does is . . . make you a better pilot at flying everything else.
I think the same could be said about flying gliders. Over 80% of my youngest son's flight time in airplanes is tailwheel time. He picked up another 2.3 tailwheel, PIC, and cross country Friday when he took me to pick up an Aeroprakt for maintenance.

My older son over 90% of his flight time is tailwheel, but that number will go down as we prep him for his private pilot. He will have to do his night, instrument, and checkride in a tricycle gear airplane. Can't find any tailwheel qualified practical examiners.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'm a tailwheel DPE, Tom, but can't help as I only do Sport Pilot practicals.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:I'm a tailwheel DPE, Tom, but can't help as I only do Sport Pilot practicals.
I knew that. I remember you were trying to get current for a checkride in a Champ. I have a applicant who is ready for a sport pilot ride, but our local sport pilot DPE is not doing rides right now. I checked with another only to find out he weighs 260 pounds.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If I can help (once travel restrictions are lifted), you or the applicant are welcome to call me at (570) 419-1229.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I think once restrictions are lifted our local DPE will be willing to do the ride.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Ok I am back - I got about 1.1 hour with 6 landings and it was tons of fun - until the right gear cracked :-) – nothing got damaged except the crack in the gear struct.

It was a pretty regular 10-12 knots or so direct crosswind landing on a grass field with the proper right wheel first etc so I was wondering what the hell .. I mean I got a bit of a sink right just before the touchdown and we bounced a bit on that right wheel but nothing I would even normally remember.

I was told there was ongoing issue with the left gear - it kept cracking an developing new stress cracks , they kept fixing it and finally got tired of it and manufactured a new , larger diameter tube gear structs which were supposed to be put in next week on both sides.

Looks like the right one had a similar issue going on and it cracked just like the left one in the exact same spot - all in all they just gonna put the new gear support as they planned within a few days so I will just resume next weekend.

I felt pretty bad about it and perhaps 12 knots direct crosswind was not the best idea for my first landings in a taildragger but again, the landing wasn’t that hard at all , had much worse during my initial training.

As far as the plane - it is sooo different. First of all even in the air it feels completely different. Unlike in my Sting which has extremely crisp controls, the controls in the Zlin are very laggy , the plane is a lot more draggy and the whole experience feels a bit like flying a barn door.
Timing required to get various maneuvers right is very different - I mean , it takes a few tries or so and you get the hang of it but it is definitely different , I wouldn't say better or worse , just different.
Stalls are different as well - Sting is like a puppy compared to this plane, it just kind of just wallows back and forth and it is very hard to get it to break – Zlin breaks quite a bit harder and power on stalls feel like you are flying vertical before it breaks.

Of course, the biggest difference is with the amount of rudder you need, especially on the ground or in slow flight - I keep getting surprised by it, especially after power changes, so that will take a few more hours and in any case, I need 10 hours ( insurance requirements) to solo in it so that's not a big deal.

Anyway, will resume next weekend :-)

PS. Sling Pilot
I was told I could get the endorsement in about 5-6 hours ( $130 per hour ) but if I want to solo in it ( which I want ), I will need 10 hours due to insurance requirements.
Zlin.jpg
Zlin.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Thank you Warmi!
Sounds like fun. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

That picture looks like the glider port at Hinkley west of Aurora.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

3Dreaming wrote:That picture looks like the glider port at Hinkley west of Aurora.
Yep. The school is based at Aurora so this is their grass strip of choice.